Sunday 18 December 2011

Bangers, cheesy mash and beans ... mmm!

Sometimes, especially when it's freezing cold, traditional British food can't be beaten! I'm not sure my French friends will agree - they just don't get those white beans in what they think is a sugary tomato sauce!

The reason for the British-themed dinner last night was that I got an order delivered from my former shop's meat suppliers - Charlotte and Dan Green of Twelve Green Acres. Just the sight of the gluten-free chipolatas he makes specially for me from his free-range rare breed pigs ... brought all the memories back ... and made me urge for bangers and mash.

For perfect mash, I always steam the potatoes. I used Maris Piper because they make a nice floury mash with no lumps. I mashed them with butter, salt and pepper and then added some grated Red Leicester cheese. Certainly not a low-fat option but delicious once in a while.

I bake sausages in a terracotta dish in the oven and never prick the skins. My absolute favourite baked beans are Whole Earth's but it's easier to find Heinz and I like the low salt and low sugar variety. I add a dash of Life's gluten-free worcestershire sauce to the beans. And Granovita's gluten-free brown sauce is really delicious and fruity (also perfect in a bacon sanie). Now my French friends really won't get that combination ...!!



No comments:

Post a Comment