Tuesday 31 March 2015

Home-made mustard

My home-made mustard in its jar ... with Sunday dinner
(roast pork chop and braised red cabbage)
I had no idea how simple it is! Or that it's raw. I've been making my own mustard and it's delicious, cheap and easy to make - PLUS people are delighted with jars of it as a gift. What a winner!

Here's how I make mine:

- 100g organic mustard seeds (I buy mine here and I mix brown and yellow)
- 150ml raw cider vinegar (I buy mine here - I've yet to experiment with wine vinegars)
- 50ml water
- 1 clove of garlic peeled and sliced thickly

Infuse these ingredients in a lightly closed jar (I use a pot of my NutriBullet - saves washing up) for 48 hours.

Remove the garlic, add a teaspoon of sea salt and then blitz in a food processor (I use my NutriBullet). If you want it smooth then pass it through a sieve - I like a bit of texture so I leave mine. Put it in a clean jar and keep it in the fridge.

Have a play with some additions - here are my thoughts:
- pinch of chili flakes
- honey
- balsamic vinegar (to replace some of the wine or cider vinegar)
- lemon zest
- fennel seeds, dried tarragon, dried chives or probably any other dried herb or spice you fancy

No comments:

Post a Comment