Sunday 28 April 2013

Lamb shanks braised in red wine

Yesterday the butcher's shop was filled with local Spring lamb. I don't really like the flavour of roast lamb but I love the Greek dish kleftika and there were lamb shanks on sale so I bought four. I browned them in a little oil in a non-stick frying pan and then placed them in the slow cooker (you could use a casserole dish in the oven on medium/low). First, I lined the bottom of  the dish with some whole carrots, an onion cut in half, a large sprig of rosemary from the garden, two cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. I poured a third of a bottle of strong red wine and a little water over the top and left the shanks to simmer for 6 hours and then stand in their juices until cold. 

Today, I've skimmed off the fat and lifted the shanks out - the meat was only just clinging to the bones - delicious! The liquid is rich and tasty smelling. Tonight, I'll roast the shanks with some potatoes and thicken the liquid with cornflour dissolved in water to make a sauce. We're having the meal with another Spring special - purple sprouting broccoli. Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment